Pynchon Wiki: Against the Day
To become a contributor/editor, Create an account.
Japanese Translation Now Available.The Japanese translation of Against the Day Gyakko is now available in two volumes from Shinchosha. The translation is by Yoshihiko Kihara.
Inherent Vice Wiki is Now Live!
The wiki for Inherent Vice is now live, with full index of characters, real and fictional, plus page-by-page annotations, reviews ... the works.
"Against the Day" show by Belgian painterBelgian painter Luc Tuymans, one of the art world's brightest stars, opened "Against the Day," a major installation of recent work at the Wiels Contemporary Arts Center in Brussels. About the show's title, Tuymans says, "The title goes back to the last book of Thomas Pynchon, the inventor of paranoia in American literature, and one of my favorite writers." Read the Wall Street Journal article...
Infinite Jest Wiki is up and rolling.Check it out... (To become a contributor, you'll have to register separately from the Pynchon wikis.)
Against the Day ... the CD!by the band Land of Kush, on Constellation Records. Release date is 3/9/09. Read more... and Listen!
French Translation Now AvailableThe French translation of Against the Day is now available. The translation is by Claro. Interesting cover art.
Pagination Blues?The UK paperback edition of Against the Day has a markedly different pagination from the original hardback editions it is 1220 pages, up from the original 1085 pages. Read on...
Pynchon Wiki AnalyzedA couple of scholars at Oxford's Internet Institute and e-Research Centre have published an interesting paper on us and this project: Literary Sleuths Online: e-Research Collaboration on the Pynchon Wiki. Feel free to add comments and corrections.
Cricket anyone?Excellent article by Peter Vernon on cricket as metaphor in Against the Day Read it...
Hawaii in Against the DayOccurences of Hawaiian references, cultural and otherwise. Read about Hawaii & Pynchon...
This is the Wiki for Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. You can take a look at the cover, read the book description written by Pynchon himself, read the reviews, entertain some theories on the source of the title, or check out the Errata.
How to Use this Wiki
There are two major ways to use this wiki. The first is the Against the Day Alphabetical Index, used to keep track of the myriad characters, real and imagined, as well as events, arcana, and lots of other stuff. The second is the Spoiler-Free Annotations by Page, which allows the reader to look up and contribute allusions and references while reading the book, in a convenient and spoiler-free manner. These two sections are so far almost entirely different, but we're working on integrating them.
Apart from those, it's up to you! In addition to your own research, feel free to add relevant information or interpetations gleaned from other Against the Day online discussions such as the Pynchon-L mailing list, The Chumps of Choice blog, Against the Day blog, and others-- with proper attribution, of course.
Alphabetical IndexInformation on the characters, events, and everything else in Against the Day, organized alphabetically:
Spoiler-free Annotations by Page
An alternate form of commentary on the text. The guiding principle of these annotations is to remain spoiler-free, so that readers can follow along without the fear that later parts of the book will be revealed.
The Light Over the Ranges
119-148, 149-170, 171-198, 199-218, 219-242, 243-272, 273-295, 296-317, 318-335, 336-357, 358-373, 374-396, 397-428
429-459, 460-488, 489-524, 525-556, 557-587, 588-614, 615-643, 644-677, 678-694
Against the Day
695-723, 724-747, 748-767, 768-791, 792-820, 821-848, 849-863, 864-891, 892-918, 919-945, 946-975, 976-999, 1000-1017, 1018-1039, 1040-1062
Rue du Départ
Pynchon Wiki Help and Contributor Guidelines
Click here for help with editing and creating pages.
We have a few conventions we ask that you follow:
- When creating a new page, first check to make sure a page/article about what you want to write about hasn't already been created, by checking the list of all Wiki pages on Pynchon Wiki. If a page already exists, please modify that one.
- When creating a new page, if its information pertains to one (and only one) specific Pynchon novel, please categorize it with the appropriate identifier. For example, a page pertaining to Against the Day (currently the only novel being annotated here), should use the syntax
- To open a discussion on an individual listing of the Alpha Index, create one using the entry on Peter Tait as an example. Basically, give it a name that identifies the alpha listing (eg [[Name Discussion|DISCUSSION]]) and notice that the visible name will be "DISCUSSION" in full caps, so it stands out a bit.
- The Modern Word: counting down to ATD
- The Fictional Woods - a Pynchon forum
- Jennie Profane's Blog commentary on Against the Day
- Pynchonoid Blog
- ATD Blog
- Another ATD Blog
- Wikipedia ATD page
- Emanating Against the Day
- 1911 Encyclopaedia Brittanica
- Extended ToC for Against the Day
- The Fuss About Pynchon - Great article by John Carvill in PopMatters about Pynchon's work.
- BBC: Tunguska at 100
- Literarywiki.org - like Pynchonwiki, but for all other books. Founded by one of Pynchonwiki's early contributors.
It’s Just Not Cricket: Cricket as Metaphor in Thomas Pynchon’s Against the Day
Peter Vernon presented this insightful paper at the Conference on Against the Day held in Tours, France, in June 2007, elucidating one of Against the Day's myriad vectors of meaning.
- "It is for two main reasons, I believe, that Pynchon uses the game of cricket as a metaphor in Against the Day. First, because cricket is the Imperial game, a game exported by the British to its colonies. And, second, because cricket is a game of balance, doubles and mirror images. The off-break is exactly balanced by the leg-break; the googly by the doosra. Cricket operates in terms of mirror-images and can be seen, therefore, to connect, on a metaphorical level, with the themes of Double Refraction, the Michelson-Morley Experiment, Iceland Spar, the Zombinis and the Isle of Mirrors in Venice." ( Read on...)
Image GalleryBelow are some of the images you will find on the Against the Day Wiki.
12:36, 25 February 2014
11:23, 11 January 2014
15:17, 17 April 2013
13:44, 8 January 2013
17:55, 25 April 2010
10:56, 24 April 2010
00:15, 24 April 2010
13:59, 22 April 2010
20:08, 17 April 2010
07:37, 17 April 2010
Contro il Giorno.jpg
07:56, 31 August 2009
12:28, 10 August 2009
12:25, 10 August 2009
11:44, 24 December 2008
22:13, 22 December 2008
Gul tre skilling banco...
22:02, 22 December 2008
07:00, 16 December 2008
20:58, 25 September 2008
09:07, 22 September 2008
20:56, 29 April 2008
22:54, 12 April 2008
15:31, 11 April 2008
15:20, 11 April 2008
11:26, 5 April 2008
07:21, 12 March 2008
22:45, 29 February 2008
17:35, 15 January 2008
17:24, 15 January 2008
11:28, 6 January 2008
13:22, 2 December 2007
13:06, 2 December 2007
18:08, 9 October 2007
17:32, 9 October 2007
17:29, 9 October 2007
15:02, 13 September 2007
08:04, 11 July 2007
07:19, 26 June 2007
19:03, 24 June 2007
22:11, 22 June 2007
21:23, 21 June 2007
The Moon Tarot XVIII.jpg
11:24, 14 June 2007
22:00, 13 June 2007
20:02, 13 June 2007
16:03, 28 May 2007
13:11, 27 May 2007
13:09, 27 May 2007